Monday, August 15, 2011

What is Hidden in that Valley? Real Ranch for me


First off, I have been meaning to update this blog forever. Since I find myself alone currently with a flat tire and waiting on service, I figure now would be the perfect time. The triplets have reached the phase where dipping food is like super cool. In fact, they have been asking for Ranch dressing with everything! Even pancakes, yikes. But, I figure hey Ranch could be a good healthy source of fat for my skinny kids and it might even get them to eat their carrots. So Ranch it is.
That was until I saw what was hidden in that Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing we have been lapping up.

Here what they are hiding in the Valley-

Vegetable oil, egg yolk, sugar, salt, buttermilk, spices, garlic, onion, vinegar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, MSG, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate.

First few ingrediats are not too bad. And I was actually happy to see sugar instead of HFCS. But MSG and Artifical flavors, no thanks.
So I found a fabulous ranch recipe and told the hubby to go ahead and make it. We adapted this recipe from Claire Robinson of the food network. Gosh, I love recipes with only 4 ingredients.

Chop the scallions and garlic as fine as possible, A food processor would come in handy here, but I killed our a few years back, oops. Then wisk together with the buttermilk and and mayo. That is it folks.

4 Ingredients Vs. 18. I have no idea why the Hidden Valley Ranch needs artificial flavors. The flavors on the real ranch was so much better. Of course you could use low-fat mayo and buttermilk if you want. Also, since this is missing all those lovely preservatives it is only good for about a week after you make it. But, if you are like us, no way there will be a drop left. 7 days after making

1 comment: